Clean Greasy Pans With Mustard Powder




   It's been a while since I've posted anything domestic, so here is a sweet tip from my Russian friend:  mustard powder is the BEST thing ever to clean greasy plates, pots and pans. It absorbs the grease much faster than most detergents I've tried. I put a teaspoon or two (or three, if the pan is very big and very greasy) and spread it around with a brush, then rinse off. A slight mustard-y smell remains, so I like to follow with a quick wash using a tiny drop of detergent (to which I always add eucalyptus essential oil).
    If you can't buy mustard powder (mine is from a Russian shop), it's pretty easy to grind mustard seeds in a coffee grinder. Mustard powder is normally used to make mustard, which is a very important part of the traditional south German breakfast (pretzels, white sausages, mustard and beer).


Check these out: